Re: HSS Section designation

Paul Feather WROTE:

On recent projects I have switched to specifying pipe and tube sections by the
HSS designations in the AISC "Hollow Structural Sections - Connections Manual"

The response I am getting from the fabricator and their suppliers is mixed, but
typically they are not familiar with the new designations and/or the specified
sections are not readily available.

What are the facts regarding the new HSS sections and designations?  Should we
be using the HSS designations or not?  Is the material in the manual available
or a premium item?  What is AISC's position?  Is anyone else using the HSS
designation, and with what result?

*********************************

The new HSS designations have been worked out and agreed to by AISC and the Tube
steel Institute (TSI).  Supplies who are members of either organization should
have no problem with their own designation.  Besides that, it shouldn't be a
problem with square or rectangular HSS sections, because all you do is use HSS
instead of TS before the dimensions and wall thickness.  For round HSS, it may
take a little bit more education; none of us are used to calling out the wall
thickness for pipe.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>On recent projects I have switched to specifying
pipe and tube sections by the HSS designations in the AISC "Hollow Structural
Sections - Connections Manual"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The response I am getting from the fabricator and
their suppliers is mixed, but typically they are not familiar with the new
designations and/or the specified sections are not readily
available.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What are the facts regarding the new HSS sections
and designations?&nbsp; Should we be using the HSS designations or not?&nbsp; Is

the material in the manual available or a premium item?&nbsp; What is AISC's
position?&nbsp; Is anyone else using the HSS designation, and with what
result?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Paul Feather P.E.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>