Re: Foundation A.B. Capacity

From: Jake Watson <jwatson(--nospam--at)inconnect.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: Foundation A.B. Capacity

>Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Jake, here is some comments:

>8" FNDN Wall
>4" Edge Distance (2 sides) ed = 4"
>
>12" Embedment (le = 12")
> Projected area = 106.4 in^2 (Ap), this has taken into account that the
>wall is only 8" thick (I truncated the shear cone).

I suggest you revert to first principles. The stem wall no longer resembles
a cone in the least: Place a washer at the bottom of the bolt, size
sufficient to transfer load in bearing to the concrete. Check the shear
capacity of the stem using beam shear criteria on the section to each side.
Provide rebar at the top of the wall  for the "cantilevers" which are of
sufficient length to gather the needed dead load.  In order to mobilize the
shear strength provide at least min code rho at the critical top sections.