From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 17:41
To: SEAOC List
Subject: HSS Section designation

On recent projects I have switched to specifying pipe and tube sections by the HSS designations in the AISC "Hollow Structural Sections - Connections Manual"

The response I am getting from the fabricator and their suppliers is mixed, but typically they are not familiar with the new designations and/or the specified sections are not readily available.

What are the facts regarding the new HSS sections and designations?  Should we be using the HSS designations or not?  Is the material in the manual available or a premium item?  What is AISC's position?  Is anyone else using the HSS designation, and with what result?

Paul Feather P.E.