Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????

****** IMPORTANT CODE CONCERNS WHICH NEED TO BE RESOLVED**********
It appears from working through the design examples that under ideal
conditions the goal is to design the struture so that all walls deflect with
the same relative stiffness. The code does not suggest what should be done to
"tweak out" the walls nor does it explain what to do when stiffness differes
from grid line to grid line or between walls in each grid line.
It does not seem practical in wood framing to tweak out walls to
specifically. You may be able to reduce your liablity, but will have a great
deal of trouble controling the quality of construction in the field. If the
Building Industry does not take some responsiblity to require those who build
these structural systems to be certified and educated with special knowledge
of the code, there can be no quality control that will be be effective and
you, as the engineer of record, still remains liable under the Strutural
Observation guidelines.
There have been many discussions both public and private on the SEAINT
Listservice regarding these topics and most engineers supporting the code
feel that we need to design both ways and to identify the effects of torson
on our structures. However, arbitrarily adding stiffness will change the
distribution of torsion and may not yeild ideal results.

The code requires the design of wind, and in most cases, wind will still
govern in wood design. Wind is a uniform load that will not be affected by
the geometry of the structure as in seismic design. With uniform loading, the
rotational differences do not appear to be as great as when seismic controls.
Therefore, one of the underlying questions is "If wind controls, can torsion
be ignored and the resisting walls designed by rigidity to keep the same
stiffness in each line of shear?"

Now that the aspect ratio of the walls are greatly impacted by the new code,
I suspect that we will start to see more proprietary shearwall systems like
the Hardy Frames or Simpson Strongwalls. How are these frames suppose to be
modeled in this program? You can not simply substitute these propriatary
frames for wood walls without knowing their stiffness factors. Yet I suspect
that engineers will want to substitute one Hardy frame for four various
shearwalls in one gridline so as to simplify the analysis. Does this force us
back into manual calculations to readjust the shear?

How do we treat field changes when the owner decides he wants to add walls or
remove walls - or wants to enlarge walls during the course of construction.
Any minor change such as this will require rebalancing the entire structure
and a change in one area may affect the torsional shear in another area. How
do we explain this to our clients?

There are a great number of problems with the new code as it applies to
residential construction that needs to be addressed and quickly. I am
interested in any comments from my peers.

Dennis S. Wish PE.