Re: Engineers LOW PROFILE

I agree with everything you said.

On the one hand, we want recognition,

On the other, we want to remain humble.

Can't have them both.

In Brazil, for example, all engineers have the title Engenheiro. They
are treated with the same if not more amount of respect as Doctors and
Attorneys. Probably much more respected than attorneys.

Engenheiro is a title of much prestige.

Furthermore, many mayors and governors are indeed engineers, and proud
of it. Voters understand their merit.

In the US, I daresay that the majority of politicians are lawyers, and
that is why we have such a convoluted legal system.

In conclusion, we must poop or get off the pot.

jgk
seaonc member pe

Now don't get me started on the self imposed - by seaoc - distinction
between members se and othjer members.

We all know the limits of our competence and the different projects we
are allowed to have resposible charge.

I believe it was a little pompous to have created the memb. category,
member se and left out a category member pe. What this says is that the
pe title is taken for granted by our own community.

We have met the enemy, and it is us...

Ok, enough. My 40 cents worth.

--- Steve Strapac <strapac(--nospam--at)mindspring.com> wrote:
> The attitude you express is the reason engineering is so
> un-understood and
> that engineers are so relatively poorly compensated. You are your own
> worst
> enemy with that attitude. It's that attitude, that we should ignore
> our
> title, and hide it, that destroys the reputation and respect of the
> profession. An example is a city engineer who isn't "allowed" to have
> "P.E." after his or her name, but the contract attorney does not need
> preface his title with COntract AND can use the title 'Attorney' ,
> 'JD'
> etc. Also the attitude at many places of employment that degreed
> engineers
> need to be "taken down a peg" and "shown their place" sure isn't
> helpful.
> Engineers should add P.E. to things like checks, return address
> labels etc.
> to increase awareness.
>
> PE is a title you should be proud of, not something you should try to
> hide.
>  Are you ashamed to be an engineer or something? Or do you want to
> "keep
> engineers in their place". Is that the case?
>
> >my mother and 2 of my sisters are RN's.  They don't add those
> letters to
> >their name all the time either.   Why do doctors and dentists need
> to have
> MD
> >or DDS following their names on their personal checks? (as an
> example)  It's
> >irrelevant.
> >James Parker
>
> Steve Strapac
> 3143 Reva Dr.
> Concord CA 94519
> (925)356-2431
> strapac(--nospam--at)mindspring.com

===
James Korff, PE, PMP
Structural Composite Consultants
985 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Suite 128, Foster City, CA 94404
Phone 650-796-8997 / Fax 650-345-1355

"May the DISPLACEMENT be With You !!"