Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: HSS Section designation

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The symbol HSS has been in use in Canada for many years.
So has their HSS Manual.

Prior to the advent of the AISC Publication, I relied mainly on the
research and publications by Bowkamp and Sherman.

seaonc member pe

--- "Benson,Ralph" <rbenson(--nospam--at)> wrote:
> I use the HSS designations, and have confused several contractors
> with it, but it also confuses some of the less enlightened in my
> office.
> Ralph Benson
> Huitt-Zollars, Inc.
>  -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Feather [SMTP:pfeather(--nospam--at)]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 5:41 PM
> To: rbenson; SEAOC List
> Subject: HSS Section designation
>  << File: body.htm >>
> On recent projects I have switched to specifying pipe and tube
> sections
> by
> the HSS designations in the AISC "Hollow Structural Sections -
> Connections
> Manual"
> The response I am getting from the fabricator and their suppliers is
> mixed,
> but typically they are not familiar with the new designations and/or
> the
> specified sections are not readily available.
> What are the facts regarding the new HSS sections and designations?
>  Should
> we be using the HSS designations or not?  Is the material in the
> manual
> available or a premium item?  What is AISC's position?  Is anyone
> else
> using
> the HSS designation, and with what result?
> Paul Feather P.E.

James Korff, PE, PMP
Structural Composite Consultants
985 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Suite 128, Foster City, CA 94404
Phone 650-796-8997 / Fax 650-345-1355

"May the DISPLACEMENT be With You !!"
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at