Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????

From: Jake Watson <jwatson(--nospam--at)inconnect.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Thursday, July 22, 1999 6:07 AM
Subject: Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????

>Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

.  The '97 UBC is big on
>redundancy, so why would it promote weakening a system?

Because the Bluebook/Code writing process  is exclusionary rather than
inclusive, particularly of actual practitioners.

>  By the same token, we can't accurately calculate wall stiffness',

So what? The folks that write this stuff are insulated from reality.

<will be a good idea when >more research is available

It would be good if research were to precede code writing, but it hasn't,
particularly in the case of wood.  And remember that way too much of
research is done on a publish or perish basis and has little or no value to
an actual designer.  I found a shearwall test of a few years ago to be
particularly "interesting" in its exaggeration of load and cycling and the
almost complete absence of useable information for design.

One of the biggest problems with this mess is that it is schizophrenic and
mixes way too much prescription into principles.  Gee folks, no wonder it is
impossible to comply.