January 1999 issue and it addresses your exact question among other related
issues for all structural members. There is also coverage of plate products
and connecting products in the February and March issues (Parts 2 and 3).

You can see all these online at www.modernsteel.com

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From:	Paul Feather [SMTP:pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, July 20, 1999 7:41 PM
To:	SEAOC List
Subject:	HSS Section designation

On recent projects I have switched to specifying pipe and tube sections by
the HSS designations in the AISC "Hollow Structural Sections - Connections
Manual"

The response I am getting from the fabricator and their suppliers is mixed,
but typically they are not familiar with the new designations and/or the
specified sections are not readily available.

What are the facts regarding the new HSS sections and designations?  Should
we be using the HSS designations or not?  Is the material in the manual
available or a premium item?  What is AISC's position?  Is anyone else
using the HSS designation, and with what result?

Paul Feather P.E. << File: ATT00003.htm >>