Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad

From: Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com <Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Thursday, July 22, 1999 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad

>     To those who are frustrated with the 1997 UBC wood design provisions.
>
>     It is productive to discuss the deficiencies, ambiguities, and
>     possible interpretations of the code.  Discussion leads to knowledge
>     and innovations.
>
>     It is counterproductive to badmouth the SEAOC seismology committee
>     VOLUNTEERS who have provided the input to the code.

The "badmouthing" I have done in no way mentions nor is intended to reflect
on volunteers. It is the PROCESS I am complaining about. Working via the
existing process is not changing it.  Seismic concerns are no longer
confined to small areas of California, yet the process of producing criteria
has not changed significantly. There is little excuse for this process to be
as closed as it is.