Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????

Jake,
I did not mean to imply that the new code is promoting more flexiblity or
less capacity. This is not the case. In fact it does promote more capacity in
the walls of larger, multi-story structures where the difference in capacity
due to torsion become greatly enhanced as you approach the first level.
However, for smaller structures two stories and under, there is little
significant change between the two methods other than to make the engineer
aware of the relative stiffness between elements (much the same as in masonry
or concrete).
The ability to do something constructive about the difference is really a
moot point since this will greatly depend upon the skills of the contractor
in the field to more closely adhere to the working drawings.
Residential construction of tract developments (meaning that this will have
more effect upon middle and lower income homes) are more closely tied to
profit margins and making homes that are low enough in cost to "hit" the
market that can afford them. The more labor involved (which I believe to be
more costly than materials) will rise as production becomes slower and cost
per panel installation increases.

Therefore, my point is that the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages
of cost and the potential to force the developer into a less than acceptable
prescriptive method.

You are right that many of us will need the time to run the numbers in order
to draw these same conclusions. I have done this and it is the reason for my
strong objections. Yet, I can't help but think that it should have been
Seismologies responsiblity to thoroughly investigate the effects of this
method on wood structures rather than simply lump wood into the same vat and
expect everyone to comply. Residential wood design is much more involved than
most engineers give credit to. The architecural aesthetics are more demanding
- geometrically - than commercial or industrial buildings.

As per your comments about how a diaprhagm will behave - you may be correct,
but I am confident that most of you will find that it simply does not matter
unless you try to design an open from structure with no support or try to
push the limits on panel H/b and load (ie, approach a 2:1 aspect ratio at
1100 plf).

Still, the new code does not help us understand how to work in the newer
proprietary shearwalls on the market. Since most of these represent emperical
studies, there are few numbers that can be manipulated to predict the
stiffness of these systems. this leaves us in a state of Limbo until either
the manufacturer or Seismology can advise us as to the best way to address
the design problem with proprietary systems.

Regards
Dennis

In a message dated 7/22/99 6:06:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,