Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad

To those who are frustrated with the 1997 UBC wood design provisions.

It would be nice if members from Seismology would participate online in our
discussions rather than "lurking" in the background and discussing our
concerns without our involvment. I have received many responses from SEAOC
members in the last month - all of which to inform me that the Seismology
committee is aware of our concerns and has spent many hours discussing our
concerns. However, although it is not the answer that we would like to hear,
the consensus at this point is to use the new code until Seismology and the
engineers using it have gathered enough information to make a determination.
It is my opinion that Practicing Engineers and the public should not have to
bear the cost of research. The code should not have included wood design if
there was not sufficient evidence of loss of life or major structural damage
attributed to inadequate design methodologies to endorse a dramatic change in
design.
This is not a dramatic change to those who practice on masonry and concrete,
but represents a drastic change and increase in work for those of us who
design wood.

I feel justified to criticize any engineer - volunteer or not who has an
effect on the manner in which I earn a living. This is not a game, nor is it
a clinical study - it is a business and will affect most of us financially
one way or the other.

Seismology Volunteers are no better nor worse than the rest of us who
participate on this list and feel that the code is improper for wood design
of residential structures. So far, the difference is that SEAOC members
(which I am an active participant) appear to feel that they are being
attacked after throwing the first stone - this new code and have yet to
address the professional community face to face. I suspect, as with most
legal matters, that our concerns are "Taken under advisement and a decision
will be reached which we will all be notified off."  Excuse me but we live in
the 21st century (as of a few months) and have the technology to discuss this
with those in a position to create change.

What Rick fails to explain is the endless amount of "Politics" that exist. In
this case, Politics is defined as "Ego", "Sensitivity to criticism" and
"bull-headedness".  If, as a volunteer of SEAOC you feel that this provision
is justified, tell me this:

1) How many more lives will it save compared to past codes?
2) How much will it reduces the Insurance companies claims for damages in
similar earthquakes as we had to Northridge.

If you can answer these questions now, then maybe the new code is a good
thing. If the answers are either insignificant or unavailable until studies
such as the CUREe-Caltech program is completed, then maybe the code change
for wood is premature. If you can not guarantee a significant reduction in
the cost of claims to the Insurance industry - maybe the code should not have
been changed. If homeowners can not benifit from the change by lower
deductables than maybe the code change is premature.

Now answer me this: If we start seeing more prescriptive construction by
conventional standards increasing into the middle class homes, what benifit
will this code change have? None. Rather, it will promote poorer quality
construction by forcing engineers out of the homebuilding market and placing
lower and middle income families into the hands of the developers and
contractors. Remember, conventional construction requirments have expanded in
this code rather than become more restrictive.

Now tell me. Has Seismology considered these issues? I don't think so. Should
they have? You bet your life they should have!
Who has the right to critisize - WE DO!

It is Improper for SEAOC Seismology members to assume that any professional
engineer whose business and livlihood relies upon the design of wood
structures should not be critical of those who create the code. I doubt very
highly if Fluor Daniels designs many lower and middle class wood residences.
I doubt that the majority of those Volunteers who sit on the Seismology
committee have every given any serious consideration to the ecconomics of
residential design and construction.

As one member pointed out, it would have been better for Seismology to have
studied the effects on wood structures rather than release it into the
professional community so that engineers can experiment at their expense.
This is putting the cart before the horse and causing those who can least
afford it to bear the expense. As Frank Lew stated many times "Show me the
bodies".

I think it is no less appropriate to critisize those who refuse to respond to
our concerns than it is for you to criticize us for speaking our minds.

Dennis S. Wish PE
Active Volunteer of SEAOC

In a message dated 7/22/99 8:38:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,