Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????-Part 1

In a message dated 7/22/99 2:26:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lhoward(--nospam--at)silcom.com writes:

<< This is a good questions, and I would also like a response to this.
 However, my feelings are that if there are in fact no changes in the
 Code, and we as an engineering community have been successfully ignoring
 these sections of the code for 30 years, then WHY CANT WE CONTINUE TO
 IGNORE THIS STUFF!!! >>

Lynn - ask the engineers among us who do Expert Witness work. How many
engineers are brought into court for providing a less than code acceptable
standard of design. I think that many of us on this list have been the
defendents (fortunately I have not) in cases where the lack of compliace with
this section of the code has bitten us in the but. I think Chuck Greenlaw can
expound on this better than I, but I am aware of a number of cases where the
engineer was crusified for not following these provisions back to 1991.

Dennis