RE: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good orbad?????-Part 1

You definitely have my vote, Lynn.

I am aware of anecdotal evidence where there has been SOME "expert" witness
testimony where a rigid diaphragm analysis was cited as something that
should have been performed but wasn't. If you pay $150 per hour, you can
find an engineer who will say just about anything. However, I'm not sure how
often this occurs (once in a blue moon?) and, more importantly, I believe
the "expert" witness must demonstrate in detail the analysis that should
have been done. Given the fact that wood structures are not flexible nor are
they rigid, an accurate model might be difficult to create. If we are having
a hard time coming up with a practical methodology, so should "expert"
witnesses.

It seems to me that there was very little "bru ha-ha" on this subject (even
though this provision has been in the UBC since at least 1988) up until a
seminar was presented on behalf of the Structural Engineers Association of
Southern California last February. The presenters, Doug Thompson and Bill
Nelson, presented a seminar titled "1997 Uniform Building Code (UBC) Wood
Provisions". A significant portion of this seminar was dedicated to this
rigid diaphragm analysis even though this is not one of the new features of
the 1997 UBC and in fact, the presenters offer was merely a demonstration of
their own office practice.

In my opinion, this seminar was the epicenter of the FUD (fear, uncertainty
and doubt) regarding the analysis method of wood framed structures, a market
which is financially precarious anyway.

Once again, we have seen the enemy and the enemy is us.

Are wood structures failing due to the fact that the design engineer used a
flexible diaphragm analysis instead of rigid? Before I spend these precious,
difficult to bill for man hours, I sure would like to see quantifiable
damage reports showing that this "error" is a more prevalent mode of
structural failure over than, say, lack of structural observation, material
tests and inspection reports.

Screw rigid wood diaphragms.

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS