Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good orbad?????-Part 1

In a message dated 7/22/99 8:02:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lhoward(--nospam--at)silcom.com writes:

<< Okay, I'm getting carried away, but I seriously think that if the
 argument is that
 "what are you crying about, this has been in the code all along", then
 we should
 respond, okay, we will ALL continue to IGNORE this section of the Code,
 just as we
 have been doing all along.  This strategy has served us well so far, and
 should continue to
 do so.

 Lynn

Lynn,
First off, engineers are being sued for not following this provision (I will
email you privately with names of some of our peers who are Expert Witnesses
serving in cases that address this issue. I don't think they want me to
publically state this since most are involved in litigation at the present
time).

Second, the latest code has taken away the "loop-hole" which we argue is the
reason that these provisions were not adhered to in the past. The fact that
ICBO and SEAOC has been so active in promoting seminars and design example
manuals (and accepted APA's recommendation to multiply the rigid diaphragm
deflection by 2.5 as the acceptable flexible diaprhagm defelction) takes away
our professional judgment call and makes us liable for designing to a less
than code minimum standard.

Still, to fight litigation from our failure to comply with prior codes, we
must bear the expense in court to prove the standard of practice. You can bet
that the other side will have their expert witnesses who will claim the
contrary. Essentially it becomes a professional "pissing" contest where the
side with the most convincing experts wins the case.

The good news, I heard today, is that the next iteration of the Blue Book
(the last version) will have a comentary to address this legal concern and
hopefully help alleviate the liability issues (we have been listened to).

Dennis