ASD Table B5.1

In table B5.1 of ASD, foot note e defines an expression compression
element restraint coefficient, kc. This expression includes the ratio
h/t.  What is the definition of h and t used in this equation? While I
think that h is well defined, the value of t is open to interpretation
as either tw (web thickness) or tf (flange thickness).

 I have been given different interpretations of both h and t by
different people, all of which have some merit. They are

(1) h is the clear distance between the flanges (height of the web) and
t is the thickness of the flange (t=tf).
(2) h is the clear distance between the flanges (height of the web) and
t is the thickness of the web (t=tw).
(3) h is the width of the compression element which, in the context
Table 5.1, is the width of the flange and t=tf.

I think that (2) is the correct interpretation and this is backed up by
the Example 12 and Page 2-220 of the green book (9th Edition). However,
it does seem unusal that the local buckling capacity of a flange is
related to the stiffness of the web. Can someone please expand this.

Andrew

--

Andrew Abbo - AndrewA(--nospam--at)formsys.com
Formation Design System - http://www.formsys.com

industrial design