Metal Stud Plywood Shear Walls

Use of metal stud framing with plywood sheathing for shear wall construction in
the 1997 UBC comes with parameters for stud thickness and dimensions. I'd like
to learn more about the development of this system and ask for your help in the
education of Barry.

We had a presenter (a Mr. Serrat?) at our Structural Engineers Association
meeting (Utah) some time back, and I understand some of the foundations of
research in this area. I guess I'm looking to find that "commentary" information
I agree is so necessary to understanding code provisions.

Barry H. Welliver
Draper, UT