ASD Table B5.1

Andrew,

When teaching ASD in about 1990, I made up a handout showing the sections
that each part of B5.2 applied to.  I have a note on the handout that, "t in
the footnote should be t(w) not t(f)."  I can't remember how I determined
that.

As far as your question about how the web can affect the buckling of the
flange, I think that it would relate to how rigid the web is in relation to
the flange.  The flange, if permitted to rotate about the web (pin connected
- simple support) would buckle at a much lower load than if the flange could
not rotate about the web (fixed rigid connection).  (See "Guide to Stability
Design Criteria for Metal Structures," 4th Edition, Fig. 4.8, bottom diagram,
[pure compression] coefficients for "Top Edge Free, Bottom Edge Fixed," and
"Bottom Edge Simply Supported.  Also, Salmon & Johnson Third Edition, Fig.
6.15.2.)

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Andrew Abbo wrote:

>>In table B5.1 of ASD, foot note e defines an expression compression
element restraint coefficient, kc. This expression includes the ratio
h/t.  What is the definition of h and t used in this equation? While I
think that h is well defined, the value of t is open to interpretation
as either tw (web thickness) or tf (flange thickness).<<