Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????-Part 1

I seems to do an accurate engineering analysis of a single family wood frame
residence these days requires the sophistication of computer analysis and 3
volumes of code along with every publication put out by the different
building material jurisdictions (i.e.: ACI, NDS, AISC, etc.).

When I think about it, it just amazes me that the wood residential structures
designed prior to 1970 using mainly the UBC, a slide rule (remember those?),
safety factors and good engineering sense are still standing and have
withstood some of the largest seismic activities in recorded history. It must
be just a fluke or dumb luck!
ECVAL3