Golf Course Bridge Design & AASHTO

Ed,

Yes, AASHTO does have loading that would dictate the design of the
bridges.  AASHTO has truck live loading and lane live loading.  If you look
at the tables in the back of AASHTO specs, you will see that truck live

HOWEVER, if these bowstring trusses (steel or wood?) were salvaged from a
*building,* the compression chord probably was "continuously" braced and
since the compression force in the top chord of a bowstring truss is
essentially constant from end to end, then the lateral bracing has to be
installed from end to end.  I would assume that you would be using these
salvaged trusses as thru trusses without the top chord "continuously"
braced.  Bracing would probably have to be installed similar to the way
compression chords of "pony" trusses are braced.

If these are wood bowstring trusses connected with shear plates or split ring
connectors, I would be hesitant to use any more than 50 percent of the
tabulated allowable values in the codes for these connectors.  After 25-30
years of use, I have seen these connectors fail under dead load alone by
shearing the wood (like a chisel) off ends of tension members. (Yes, the end
and edge distances were in compliance with the code.)

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Ed Fasula wrote:

>>We're just starting on a job to use 100' salvaged bowstring trusses to make
a golf course bridge.  It's going to carry carts, people, and golf course
equipment (tractors).

I'm wondering if the lane live load pattern we need would be in AASHTO's
Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges, another publication, or if
we're going to have to make it up ourselves.<<