Re: 1997 UBC Masonry Wall Design

From: Larry Hauer <LRHauer(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
To: INTERNET:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Friday, July 23, 1999 12:37 PM
Subject: RE: 1997 UBC Masonry Wall Design

>Bill,
>
>Where are you getting the distance of 0.367H for the lower portion force?
>It may be in the code and I haven't found it yet, but an example from the
>Seismic Design manual Vol. I by ICBO, (Example 35, page 107), indicates you
>just average the force at base and at roof level.

But why would you average? Isn't variation with height described by hx and
hr, which for a given section are discreet points? I guess it depends on how
one parses the definition of hx ;  "element elevation"  or "component
elevation"  vs. "( ) attachment elevation". The latter is what made sense to
me, but.... What?????