Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????

In a message dated 7/23/99 1:15:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Mark.Swingle(--nospam--at)dgs.ca.gov writes:

<< Mark Swingle responds:
 There is STILL no rational means to calculate the deflection of WOOD
 diaphragms.  >>

Mark, there may be no Rational means to calculation the deflection of an
unblocked diaphragm, but the profession (APA to be specific) has made a
recommendation (2.5 times the blocked diaphragm deflection calculated from
the formula given in the code) that completes the methodology to establish
the provisions of the code as enforcable.
In my opinion, regardless of the validity of your argument (theoretical in
nature) the code standard is now complete and enforcible - which places
engineers who do not comply in a  position of potential liability.  I intend
to continue as I can to change this and help either to eliminate the
provisons from use on residential structures or to help develop a more
rational simplified approach until enough information is available. I don't
think there is another choice at this time that relieves of of potential
liability.

I'll reread the rest of your comments later and may have more to respond to.

Dennis