Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????

Thank you Andrew for your comments - I agree with ALMOST entirely, but want
to clarify a comment you made that I think, at least in the Los Angeles area,
may be inacurate:
Most single family residences in Los Angeles were not constructed to the
typical type V sheet as most believe. Yes, the type V sheet (which seems to
be associated to Los Angeles) was used for small remodels, but in most cases,
the City rarely issued permits for homes built by prescriptive methods in the
last twenty years of so. As I understand it, the building official has more
power to interprete the code in Los Angeles than in most rural area's such as
mine. Therefore, it is not typical to find new homes constructed without
engineers or architects in Los Angeles.
The problems with construction, as you point out, were related to
construction defect. The problem seemed rectified after Northridge when the
City demanded structural Observation of the load path elements recognizing
that it was not typically required in the past and the quality of
construction suffered as there was little enforcment of the details on the
construction drawings.

I may be splitting hairs, but I learned how terribly the prescriptive methods
are abused in rual area's where the building official is at the mercy of the
pressure placed on him or her by the city council under pressure of the
developer in town.

The outcome is still the same - wood framed homes performed well. If we
devoted as much time lobbying for stricter educational requirments on
contractors rather than the path we have taken we might resolve the quality
issue and still have affordable housing.

Dennis

In a message dated 7/24/99 6:48:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, NDZ28(--nospam--at)aol.com