Re: Effects of the New Code on Wood structures - good or bad?????

In a message dated 7/24/99 11:59:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lhoward(--nospam--at)silcom.com writes:

<< > The fact of the matter is that many the wood framed structures did not
perform
 > acceptably during the Northridge earthquake.  As a consequence, some very
 > knowledgeable and experienced engineers have proposed changes in the Code
in
 > order to improve the performance of wood frame construction.  Design loads
have
 > been increased and we are now being asked to evaluate our structures a
little
 > more carefully.  That is going to include an evaluation of rigid and
flexible
 > diaphragm performance, like it or not.

I don't know where you get your data!  I have personally inspected more than
50 wood framed residential and commercial structures after the Northridge
earthquake.  Our company has inspected more than 200 wood framed structures.
Most of the damages were only cosmetics (drywall and plaster cracks).  I
didn't see any structural collapse or major failure and only very few of
those plywood shear walls failed.

I think reducing the allowable shear strength and limiting the width to
height ratio of drywall, stucco wall, and plywood are already enough to
improve the design of wood framed structures.

Engr. Alfonsos S. Quilala Jr., P.E.