EERI Seismic Construction Training Program (response to John Rose)

John,
This is a great start but where is the support from Building Industria
Association and the other construction industry associations????? How about
support from NAHB and NAHB-RC.
My impression is that tract developments, in general, are built under
stricter enforcment of the construction drawings and with better quality
assurance than single home developments by small contractors doing less than
10 homes a year. In my location, the small developers accounted for more than
1,500 homes constructed in my neighborhood over the last ten years which were
designed by prescriptive methods and yet not strictly in compliance with even
these minimum provisions. How do we insure that these builders are encouraged
to improve their knowledge by viewing this information if there is no
requirement for compliance before they are allowed to apply their skills.
I think this type of a program should be required in the licensing stage.
Personally, I don't have as high a regard as most for the independent
developer since my experience with them has been to avoid extra hardware at
all costs and to market their product as comparable or of better quality than
the competition which is engineered. The motivation is an increased profit
margin.

Dennis

In a message dated 7/24/99 11:37:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,