Re: EERI Seismic Construction Training Program (response to John Rose)

Hi Dennis:

I don't recall all of the different organizations that are participating in the
EERI project, but there are several including contractor groups. Perhaps Marjorie
Greene will answer in more detail to Frank McClure's posting. NAHB R/C is not
participating but is cooperating on another apparently similar project.

The EERI project stems from a workshop about two years ago in which a wide segment
of the engineering, contracting, and building dept. groups took a hard look at the
industry needs. The EERI project will lead off with a video, to supplement ICBO's
training videos, which can be distributed to contractors and building depts. for
training.  It was felt that long off-site training sessions weren't practical. At
some point, there might/should be legislation to require at least the job supt. or
lead builder to have seismic construction training, so he can pass the info along
to subordinates.  The details of all of this would be discussed with action needed
at some following stage of the EERI project.

>From Kirk Grundahl's and Frank McClure's posts, it seems that others may be on a
parallel path.  Probably the training aids will be available from several sources.
What is needed then is a program to enable "technology transfer" to take place and
be effective.  Maybe testing or state registration is needed for lead builders; it
was suggested during the workshop, but politics and logistics may get in the way.
This is why support from contractor's organizations was sought when setting up the
EERI project.

John Rose