Re: Reinforced Concrete Blockwork Construction

From: Frederick Ellul <f_ellul(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Monday, July 26, 1999 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: Reinforced Concrete Blockwork Construction

>On a project I am currently working on I have specified reinforced concrete
>blockwork walls reinforced with both the main vertical reinforcement and
>also horizontal secondary distribution steel.
>
>However the contractor has never used any horizontal steel in such walls,
>and he is claiming that it is a very time consuming process.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions etc from past experience of how the
>construction sequence could be carried out...i.e. number of courses
infilled
>at one time etc without the builder's breaking their backs etc

Where is this to be constructed??  Obviously?? not in the western US?
We're used to open end or H shaped blocks which are easy to place around
standing story height verts. Since they have less material more can be flung
around in a day by a mason, grout flow is "better" ( if you want it to be
voidless that is). East of the Rockies rebar and grout and blocks to
accommodate same "cost extra".