Re: Base Metal Preparation

>I have been referred to you by Mark Hildebrand,
>our chief engineer, for your opinion regarding the need to grind the zinc
>coating off of galvanized metals prior to welding.
Blodgett's book on welding procedures recommends removing the zinc from
the vicinity of the weld or you're likely to have problems with cracking.
More problems with plate thicker than 1/4 in than with thinner plate. As
a practical matter, you may as well clean up the area around the weld,
since you'll need to go back and regalvanize the weld, anyway.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw