RE: Golf Course Bridge Design & AASHTO

   >Do not use AASHTO at all. It is specifically for highway
   >bridges...I would favor using a uniform live load (someone else
   >mentioned this), and the ASCE 7 with ACI 318 Appendix C, and/or AISC
LRFD 2nd
   > Edition.

After thinking about ASSHTO's more conservative allowable stress
requirements (at least in the books I own-still waiting for the Standard
Specifications for Highway Bridges) I looked into LRFD's 2nd ED. Code of
Standard Practice for Steel Buildings and Bridges.  1.4 States the
following:

In the absence of other instructions, the following provisions govern, as
applicable:

Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges of the American Association of
State Highway and Transportation Officials
Specifications for Steel Railway Bridges...
Structural Welding Code...

I understand this as directions to use AASHTO.  Although the statement, "In
the absence of other instructions" is vague and probably could be
interpreted in any way.

Regards,
Ed