Re: Design of bollards

Mark,

Assuming your intent is to protect persons/property, not minimize damage to the
car (i.e. does not need to conform to NCHRP 350 requirements), why don't you
design it for a 10 kip load at the top of the bollard.  This loading is defined
in AASHTO Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges, 16th Edition with
Interims to 1998, Section 2.7.1, Vehicular Railing.

Hector