Re: Design of bollards

From: Mark Gilligan <MarkKGilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
To: INTERNET:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Monday, July 26, 1999 9:54 PM
Subject: Design of bollards

>Can anybody on this list point me to a standard that deals with the design
>of bollards to resist the impact of motor vehicles.
If the bollard is to PREVENT a vehicle from falling off the edge the UBC
prescribes a 6 kip horizontal force to be applied 18'' above the floor.  A
lesser force might be appropriate if the bollard is only used to deter
access.  The supporting slab or? should of course be designed to anchor the
bollard and consideration (don't start) given to the consequence of
mobilization of bollard strength. Or plainly, make the bollard the only part
that fails and make it replaceable after it does.