RE: Design of bollards

My company did a protective gate design around a government facility a
few years ago.  I remember the problem growing into something pretty
complicated. We had tremendous forces due to our assumed vehicle speed
of 55 mph at impact.  After we were finished with the project (too late
to change anything) I had the idea of limiting the vehicle approach
speed by using speed bumps.  If your bollards get out of hand, I might
suggest something like speed bumps to limit the vehicle velocity prior
to impact.  How fast can a person drive over speed bumps?  I'll leave
that one to somebody else!

Michael Ritter, PE