-----Original Message-----
From: Rackmales, David N NAN02
[mailto:David.N.Rackmales(--nospam--at)nan02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 8:55 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Furniture Live Load

I'm interested in the loading ON the piece of furniture itself, not loadings
on the floor as per my original message:

> Is there a resource listing Live Loads on furniture? That is, what's the
for
> the LL. Any suggestions?

The loft I mentioned will most likely be situated on a basement floor. The
customer-specified geometry of the bed comprises two king-sized mattresses.
In the absence of any specified codes for furniture design, I've used 40 psf
to design the loft bed. The structure would be eight feet high and
constructed of commercially-available (i.e., Home Depot, et al.) lumber.

What I need to know is if 40 psf is too conservative a loading. Or is it not
enough? Mr. Bart Needham earlier suggested an impact factor of two, which I
can understand as jumping on the bed, falling on the bed, etc., etc. should
be considered. For duration of load factor I used 1.0, though as the
structure would be used for sleeping and would only come under use, what,
eight hours a day?

The structure can safely be built with 2X8s, 2X4s, 4X4 columns (with lateral
supports), plywood, etc. with the 40 psf LL. I am simply looking for a good
resource to back up my assumptions; that is, does anyone know of a "timber
furniture design handbook"?

Thank you.