Re: Conv. Constr. one direction (Residential Engineering)

From: Barry H. Welliver <wellive(--nospam--at)ibm.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: Conv. Constr. one direction (Residential Engineering)

>Charles Greenlaw wrote:
>(snipped prior portions of message/response)
>frame sections? Or are we hopelessly spinning our wheels against the
backside of
>the code development machine
A large part of the answer lies outside the profession, and that is
construction and inspection. To oversimplify,  a large portion of
residential work is complicated. That is it requires detailed investigation
of load paths and special details to make those loads paths, often won with
great effort, work.  Enforcement of the details is difficult because the
framer is incompetent/apathetic as is the inspector.  Hence one major
attraction of "conventional" construction. It needs few if any special
details, but more important the folks who do have direct control of the
outcome are not challenged to do unacustomed things (cynically, like read
the drawings). So yes, the code process is beating the tar out of the end of
the oxtail.