Re: Furniture Live Load

William Keil wrote:

> To confirm 40 psf as a design value:  Sum the total weight of the framing,
> people, mattress, linens, etc. and then divide by the area of a king size
> mattress.  For example 40 psf x 6' x 7' = 1680 pounds.  Average weight for
> two people = 2 x 200 = 400 pounds.  This appears to be a reasonable
> justification.
>
> William J. Keil, P.E.

** You might want to consider and compare what the load would be if someone de-
** cided they wanted a waterbed!  Don't forget the "Goldilocks" factor of safety:
** This Loft Bed is too Strong, This Loft Bed is too Weak, This Loft Bed is just
** right!!  (Suggest you design using LRFD (Loft Resistance Factored Design), a
** flexible diaphragm, and BWPs for the headboard.)

**PS: If someone were to die in bed with their boots on, don't forget the Dead Load.