Re: Design of bollards

In Fremont,  we had a disturbed citizen drive his pickup truck with camper
shell into an open weed field and turn around to drive directly at our animal
shelter at about 40 mph, jump the concrete curb, and crash thru a window
wall, counters, an interior wood wall and then stop about 35 feet into the
building.  Then,  the "suspect" backed out of the building and drove away
several blocks before crashing into another vehicle.  So,  speed bumps in my
opinion would not be much of a deterrent.  We've added bollards when we
repaired the building.

Ron Fong
Fremont,  CA

In a message dated 7/28/1999 7:06:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
PaulC(--nospam--at)ckcps.com writes:

<<
 > speed by using speed bumps.  If your bollards get out of hand, I might
 > suggest something like speed bumps to limit the vehicle velocity prior
 > to impact.  How fast can a person drive over speed bumps?  I'll leave
 > that one to somebody else!

 I once witnessed a large 70's Buick drive directly at (and over) a high
 curb at about 35 mph and keep going undeterred, though the creaking noises
 from the undercarriage suggested it was a really bad idea if the life of
 the car is a concern (I think that the driver was trying to evade police at
 the time, so the car's well-being was not an issue).  Based on that
 experience, I would be a little wary of relying on speed bumps.

 Paul Crocker >>