RE: Drift at top and rotation/curvature

In the bridge world, at least in California, we do this all the time.  In
fact, the days of checking seismic forces appears to be over.  Now
(theroretically, at least) we check only column displacements and then make
sure the structure is strong enough to handle the forces generated from the
column plastic hinging.

The drift is made up of two things, the rotation in the plastic hinge times
the plastic hinge length, and the elastic deflection of the column from the
top of the plastic hinge to the bottom of the bridge soffit (or to the
bottom of the slab in your case).

The moment curvature curve is simplified into a bi-linear curve.  The slope
of the first part will get you the elastic effective stiffness (EI).  Using
P/Delta = 12EI/L^3 (for a fixed-fixed) column will get you the elastic
displacement.

The second part of the curve represents the curvature in the plastic hinge.
The curvature after yielding times the plastic  hinge length gives you the
plastic deflection.

I'm probably not explaining this very well, its a little complicated for an
email.  Another reference to check, besides Priestley and Seible, is the
Caltrans Seismic Design Criteria,  which will supposedly be placed on their
website soon at http://tresc.dot.ca.gov/earthquake_engineering/oee.html .