Re: Displaced Center of Mass Question

Greg, I think my questions is much simpler than the answer. I believe that
there is validity in your response when dealing with a heavier mass such as
masonry or concrete walls. My question was to consider the results on
lightweight structures by considering the displaced center of mass as it
might occur on either sides of the Center of Ridgity rather than the approach
taken by Amrhein in the Reinforce Masonry Handbook that simply adds 5% of the
diaphragm dimension perpendicular to the direction of force in both the X and
Y axis. Although he does suggest that the displaced eccentricity is both
added and/or subracted from the eccentricity resulting between the CR and CM
his examples in the book use a simplified approach by only adding the
additional 5% eccentricity.
I can easily see how by considering the eliptical effect of the displaced CM
that the loads to the walls farthest from the is point will increase.
However, is if enough to make a significant difference or are we trying to be
too specific in the design?

Thanks
Dennis

In a message dated 7/29/99 7:46:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time, strusup(--nospam--at)gte.net