Re: Redundancy Factor

Dennis:
the problem is the 10/Lw factor.  If you have shear walls less than 10 feet in
length you start to pay a penalty in terms of a higher redundancy factor.  Per
Gerry Neville at ICBO, the wood industry proposed 4/Lw but lost.  See pages
129-130 of the the ICBO109 Seminar notes for a discussionIn the example I cited
all stories would have 1.5 factor in the short direction except the ground floor
which might have a steel frame or masonry lateral force system.