Re: Drift at top and rotation/curvature

You should never, never! allow plastic hinges to form on the columns, as
this will cause the structure to fail mechanically (just think of floors
moving relative to each other without any constraint) . What you have to
do is guarantee that the hinges form first in the beams or slabs
supported by the column and design the moment capacity of columns to be
greater than that of beams (speaking generally of the joint). You may
check this in ACI 318-95 , eq. 21-1.
The relationship you seek between curvature and displacement is affected
by various factors as axial force , compression strength and yield
strength; you may like to check this in "Ssismic design of reinforced
concrete structures" by Paulay and Priestley , which is one of the best
reference books on seismic design.

Juan C. Gray