RE: In-Slab Ducts in P/T Slabs

Title: RE: In-Slab Ducts in P/T Slabs

Jeff:

We have designed a number of projects with duct systems embedded in the floor slabs.  In fact, if my memory is correct, we possibly designed the first such project in the U.S. many years ago.  It involved Walker duct embedded in the slabs of a P/T concrete joist (wide pan) floor system.  Our experience with this over the years has been both good and bad.  I offer two cautions:

*  Pay attention to fire code considerations.  For example, if the ducts do not have sufficient concrete cover (top and bottom), the fire resistance rating of the floor assembly can go way down.

*  Make sure that the owner has a good concrete contractor if he wants flat floors.  The ducts, especially the headers or trunks, can make high F numbers very hard to achieve.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE
*******************************
HALFF ASSOCIATES, INC.
Engineers*Architects*Planners
8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
Dallas, Texas  75225
Phone:    (214)346-6280
Mobile:   (214)236-9696
Fax:      (214)739-0095
Email:    scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com
Website:  http://www.halff.com