Re: In-Slab Ducts in P/T Slabs

From: Jeff Creagan <jeffc(--nospam--at)kpff.com>
To: SEAOC Listserver <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Friday, July 30, 1999 9:31 AM
Subject: In-Slab Ducts in P/T Slabs

We have been asked on several recent projects about the feasibility of introducing in-slab mechanical ducts (i.e. 2" x 12") into our flat plate post-tensioned concrete slab design.  Apparently, this is a system that is very common in Canada, where they are utilized in conventional mildly reinforced slabs.  Any opinions?

I get nervous with 12'' wide ducts but have used narrower systems without problem. Coordinate duct loactions with tendon location in advance, that is done just specify effective force per foot. You'd want to do this anyway to provide for future penetration zones.