Redundancy Factor (applicable to seismic and wind?)

In a message dated 7/30/99 11:29:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Paul_Reilly(--nospam--at)dot.ca.gov writes:

<<
 Frustrated, I have applied rho = 1.5  to entire light-frame structures, and
have
 been pleasantly surprised to find that wind (80 mph, exp B) usually (still)
 controls demand forces.

I assumed that the applied Rho is to be considered regardless of which forces
govern. Where in the code or commentary does it restrict Rho to seismic only?
Dennis