Re: Drift at top and rotation/curvature

Thank you all for your preseient comments.

I believe we have now reached the phase in this thread of Paralysis by
Analysis.

This is why I love struct-eng:

Elasto-plastic
Semi-rigid
Quasi-static
Pseudo-dynamic
Non-ductile
Effective Stiffness
Nominal Strength
Pseudo-Loading
et al

Looking back at my original posting, Drift vs Rotation is apparently an
OXYMORON. There is no such relationship.

Plastic Hinge Rotation occurs when the inelastic response is flexure
dominated.

Drift occurs when the inelastic response is controlled by Shear.

UNLESS of course we consider the RC Column as a
pseudo-inverted-quasi-coupling beam, in which case the operative,
irrespective of what governs the inelastic response (flexure or shear),
is chord rotation.

And chord rotation = delta / length.

How simple!!

jgk

--- Ed Workman <eworkman(--nospam--at)fix.net> wrote:
> You are confusing design of the primary lateral load resisting system
> with
> compatibility drift.
> It is not necessary or even possible to assure strong column/less
> strong
> beam action in the "gravity" system. It is necessary to assure that
> collapse
> of these elements will not occur.

===
James Korff, PE, PMP
Structural Composite Consultants
985 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Suite 128, Foster City, CA 94404
Phone 650-796-8997 / Fax 650-345-1355

"May the DISPLACEMENT be With You !!"