Re: Redundancy Factor

From: Ron O. Hamburger <ROH(--nospam--at)eqe.com>
To: seismo-all(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seismo-all(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Cc: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Friday, July 30, 1999 2:55 PM
Subject: Redundancy Factor

>Somehow, in the word smithing that went into the actual code language, this
>logic got badly messed up.  Now each wall segement is multiplied by 10/lw.
>This has the desired effect for long walls, but has a penalty effect for
>short wall segments.  This was, in my opinion, never intended.
>This has some serious negative impacts on wood frame construction.
>
>Please consider this matter, at your next Seismology Committee meeting.

This is not an isolated instance obviously and underscores the need for
wider review of proposed code provisions BEFORE adoption. SEAOC needs to
promote, not discourage review by practitioners outside the committee(s).
Please don't bother with a canned response, the problem is real and it is
not being addressed.