Seismology Committee Meeting August 13 to review Wood Draft of Blue Book

I have been in contact with SEAOC members who will participate in the August
13 Seismology committee meeting. I was sent a draft of the Proposed Blue Book
Section C805 - a four page document addressing the provisions of section
1630.

I would recommend that individuals with specific comments regarding the
application of the '97 UBC provisions for wood submit constructive comments
(not simply emotional criticism ) to the seismology Listservice at
seismo-all(--nospam--at)seaint.org. I do not know if submissions from outside the
seismology committee can be posted on that list, but we should try. If not, I
would request that one of the members who is participating on this list be
willing to print our comments and submit them at the meeting for
consideration.

I wish to take this avenue because we are ridiculed for not participating in
the code creation, blocked from participating by virtual means and ignored by
the most members of seismology who support the new code but do not wish to
discuss it with the general professional community. There must be an avenue
to break down the barrier so that seismology members stop thinking of our
discussions as personal attacks but the cries of those of us who need
supportive information to apply the provisions of the code in a manner to
insure our clients safety.

Therefore, I remind all of our list members to submit their comments in as
professional manner to be supportive of the need to open a line of
communication between policy makers and those who are required to impliment
policy.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish PE

In a message dated 7/30/99 5:38:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,