Re: Redundancy Factor

Chuck,
Your efforts are admirable. I have an opinion as to the your findings.
However, I can only assume for the equation that this was the intent
(although Ron Hamburges comments were very informative):

It appears that there non-calculated interior partitions with various
different finishes are thought to help dampen the displacment of the
diaphragm and reduce torsion. However, their stiffness is so much smaller
than walls specifically designed to resist the diaprhagm that the interior
partitions are not believed to be effective until the in interior partitions
are forced into excessive deflection (although still within code allowables).
At this point, the code expects the lateal force to be magnified so as to
force the designed walls to be even stiffer. I have not been able to
determine if there is an established limit expected before the effects of the
interior partitions are considered.

I tend to agree with your comments (I may not be willing to call the whole
think bogus :>) but am of the opinion that since there is no way to calculate
the effects of the interior walls we should not consider them nor penalize
designed shearwalls to due to their absence.

Dennis

In a message dated 7/30/99 5:48:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,