Re: Redundancy Factor

In a message dated 7/31/99 9:24:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time, NDZ28(--nospam--at)aol.com
writes:

<< Lynn, you have an excellent point.  I too will write to all the
departments
 that I deal with.  I don't know if I'll have any success; I'm with you
 though, Hopefully all the key people will join in. (and the general
 membership-this is no time to sit idle, especially for those of us whose
main
 workload is wood framed structures).
 Andrew >>

Please consider the following:

Excerps from a personal letter to the building official in the city of Rancho
Mirage California who allowed engineers to submit designs based only on
traditional flexible diaprhagm and tributary distribution methods:

I was surprised by your position on flexible diaphragm design that was
discussed in our conversation this morning. Arnold sent me some pages from a
book published in 1990 "DESIGN GUIDE TO THE 1991 UNIFORM BUILDING CODE" by
Alfred Goldberg, P.E., H.A.I.A. (3rd edition published by GRDA Publications,
Mill Valley California).
I have quoted a few paragraphs that I believe you should read and evaluate.
Although the city has no real liability in the issue, you may be placing
engineers in a litigious position that they are unaware of. The code is
specific, allowing less "professional judgment" than past codes. Inasmuch as
the code is a law, engineers and building professionals can decide to design
to a stricter standard but can not authorize a design method that is less
than what the code assumes to be the "Standard of Care". This is a very good
topic to be discussed at our meeting with other professionals from the area.
Article 11 - Legal Implications of the Code (page 11-1)
"Unfortunately, we are living in an increasingly litigious society. Because
the code is an ordinance or law enacted by a jurisdiction, it is as much the
law as any other law on the books. Violation of the code is a violation of
the law and can result in financial or personal loss to the individual or
firm committing the violation."
The Designer and the Code (page 11-2)
"The designer should follow the code, when faced with a determination made at
the local level that is knowingly contrary to the code and accepted practice
in the profession. The choice of a more restrictive reading of the code
cannot be overruled by the official. One can always exceed the minimum
standards in the code. By doing so, the designer will avoid the trap of
taking responsibility for the code violation that the official inadvertently
set up. Remember that the code provides an "out" for the official via Section
303( c ) ['91 UBC]; there is no similar one for the designer."
The Building Official's Legal Responsibility and Resources (page 11-3)
"The enforcement official who chooses to ignore the code, (see "The Designer
and the Code" above), places both the jurisdiction and the official in
serious jeopardy. Cases have ruled that both the individual and the
jurisdiction can sustain liability if the action by the official was
knowingly wrong. The official should obtain maximum assistance from the cited
sources rather than incur such liability. The public is ill served by
officials who choose to ignore the law they are to enforce."
The "Standard of Care" (page 11-4)
"The acceptance of substandard drawings from several designers does not
establish a standard level of acceptance in that locality. If that standard
results in drawings that are incomplete for proper construction, in
litigation the designer will answer to the courts. It is foolish to hope the
courts will rule that the continued presence of inadequate drawings will,
over a period of time, establish that level of performance as the
professional standard in the locality.
If a building official has made an erroneous interpretation and maintains
that misinterpretation when responding to similar inquiries from other design
professionals, that repetition of error does not establish a legal basis for
violating the code. The designer must know and comply with the code, just as
the driver of a car is required to know the speed limits, comply with them
and not rely on the traffic cop to verify them."
Steve, I appreciate your position on this issue and I personally agree with
you that residential construction should be designed as a flexible diaphragm.
Unfortunately, we are both bound by the letter of the code to comply with the
rigid diaphragm provisions until which time that the code can be changed or
simplified. I have been working with the professional community to institute
change and hope that our meeting will be the first step in having the
opinions of many of us, who specialize in residential design, be seriously
considered by members of SEAOC's Seismology Committee who originated this
methodology. It has been brought to my attention that wood framed structures
fell through the gap and was forced to comply with the same sections of code
as commercial and industrial structures with known rigid diaphragms.

*******end reference********

I do not believe it is possible based on the referenced information to
resolve legal liability of the engineer who submits a revision to the code
that promotes less than full compliance to the letter of the code. I believe
that the adoption of the code must be at a state level and any revisions must
occur at that level as well. The building official does not have the power
modify the code to less than minimum compliance. I admit that I do not know
if the city can refuse to adopt compliance to a new code that provides
stricter enforcment of code provisions.

Dennis