Re: Need feedback from those using strict interpretation for Woodstructures

Chuck-

Who classified the Northridge earthquake as "moderate".  True, this
earthquake was not the "big one", but we do not design structures to go
through the big one without significant structural damage anyway.  We
are supposed to be designing for the earthquake that has a 10% chance of
reoccurring every 50 years.  From the recorded ground accelerations, it
was my understanding that this was indeed close to a design base
earthquake.  Certainly this was not a "moderate" earthquake.

If you have some reference as to where you could point me to people or
organizations who have classified this as a moderate earthquake, I would
be interested in hearing about it.

I do not agree with the philosophy that the Code should require that
structures should be able to go through a design based earthquake and
suffer little damage.  The Engineer and Owner have the prerogative of
designing to a higher standard than the Code requires, and we often do
that here in our office.  However, in my opinion, the minimum
requirements of the Code should only provide life-safety protection for
the occupants.

Almost any one or two story wood framed house with plywood horizontal
diaphragms and vertical plywood shear walls will provide life-safety
protection of the occupants regardless of all these issues we have been
discussing.

FEMA 310 is a standard that provides guidelines for the evaluation of
life-safety performance of existing structures.  Section 3.2 and Table
3-1 of FEMA 310 states that any wood light framed building, or wood
framed commercial or industrial building designed and constructed in
accordance with the 1976 UBC will provide life-safety protection for the
occupants.

If this is true, and I believe it is, then all of this hoop-la will do
nothing but reduce the damage in a building, and not necessarily
increase life-safety.

I do not know that there is any kind of a mandate that the minimum
requirements of the Code provide for the control of damage.

Our office has run a few residential building through the mill on the
rigid diaphragm, redundancy and Rho factor issue, to try and see how
this will all come out.  The calculations say the diaphragms are rigid,
when they are OBVIOUSLY not, and the Rho factor has been greater than
1.0, all the way up to 1.5 for all of these building also.  Design base
shears for plywood building are approaching TWICE the base shear we used
on structures based on the 1994 UBC.  You have to add the Rho and the
near source factors into your base equations around here, making the
design shears very large.

If this is really the intent of the Code developers, then I think I
would be morally obligated to tell the all of our past clients,
including the clients of building that are currently under construction,
that their buildings pose a life-safety threat to them an all who enter
these structures.  I guess I should see this as an opportunity to do a
seismic retrofit of all of our past wood framed structures.

Lynn