AASHTO Lane Loads

I just got the 16th Ed. AASHTO spec and I'm not clear what a lane load is
exactly.  3.7.1.1 states, "lane loads ... are equivalent to truck trains."

However 3.11.4.2 reads, "For continuous spans, the lane loading shall be
continuous or discontinuous; only one standard H or HS truck per lane shall
be considered on the structure."

Does "lane load" mean something different here?  If not, how can a lane load
represent a train of trucks yet be used when considering only that one is on
the structure?

Ed Fasula