Re: Redundancy Factor

In a message dated 7/31/99 7:48:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:

<< However, you as the design
 engineer are responsible to following the letter of the law and become
liable
 for your actions if you choose to comply with the building official.
 It's not fair, but it is law. I gave you some references about the legal
 issues that were given to me by Arnold Bookbinder, S.E. who specializes in
 Expert Witness work and is involved in similar cases at this time. I'm
afraid
 that we may simply have to work from within the system to help limit our
 liability.

 Dennis

Dennis,

As you and others have put forth the question "what has changed since 1988
UBC to require us to do rigidity analysis on wood floor diaphragm now that
1997 UBC is in effect?". I still have not seen or heard an answer other than
"because it was presented in a seminar as an example." If the code language
regarding rigidity analysis has not changed since 1988 UBC, why are we
required to do that on residential wood frame diaphragms NOW and not since
1988? If we are going to be liable now for not doing rigidity analysis, why
aren't we liable for not doing it since 1988, or are we? Some tribute the
"change" to the aftermath of Northridge earthquake, but again the requirement
was there since 1988. I don't believe there is a specific language in the
1997 code that says "the rigidity analysis is now required for wood frame
diaphragms as well," so, why consider it now if it was not considered since
1988 UBC? If the intent of the 1988 UBC was to require such an analysis on
wood frame diaphragms, why wasn't it advertised or didn't it become known
then rather than now?

Any official explanation or an explanation of an Official? Maybe the authors
or presenters of the example presented at the wood seminar last year know the
answer.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.